Friday, January 14, 2011

Le Temps Est Beau!

I'm trying to be better about this blog thing. It's just difficult to put into words what it's like to be living in a foreign country for four months. Most days I feel like this is not real life somehow. I'm in a place where I don't understand what people say when they walk by, I can't quite read all the signs, and where it's difficult to communicate with almost everyone. It's extremely isolating.


But I also love it.


I love being able to walk out my door and take a few steps to the Rhône River. I can walk right by the Jet d'Eau in a matter of minutes. I love to see the mopeds flying by and the tiny cars everywhere. I love the way Swiss Francs look (although I don't love how easily they disappear), and I love the Turkish guys at the Kebab places that are all over around here. I love that it's the middle of January and it's in the 50s everyday. I will never, ever miss the weather of Northeast Ohio.


I love the discothèques and the way Europeans dress. I love the Irish pubs and the men who walk around all the bars trying to sell flowers. I love eating chocolate all the time because that is expected here.


Last night we went to a club called Shakers, and it was quite possibly the most fun night I've had in my life. My thighs are on fire today from all the dancing! Certainly not something I normally do. But, as they say, when in Rome... I met a really cool guy from Slovakia - I mean what are the chances of that happening in the States? Pretty much zero. There is just so much exposure here to things I have never known before. It's exhausting, but I feel that it is so good for me. I think it should be a requirement for college students to study abroad. There is truly nothing like it.


I'm realizing as I write these posts that I am horrible at remembering to take pictures. Absolutely horrible. And pictures would make my random ramblings much, much more interesting I'm sure. So I do apologize for the lack of color and image! I'll do my best to work on it.


On that note, I am going to try to do a bit of the MASSIVE stack of reading I have for my classes. First up, human rights. Tonight, some of the girls and I are having a Mom Night. Evidently that is where you bake cookies and watch movies.


I am game for that. Au revoir!

No comments:

Post a Comment